Popular Posts

Saturday 29 January 2011

Is your job making you fat?


With articles in the media every day on what we should and shouldn't be eating and the recommended weekly exercise intake changing more often than Davina McCall's gym slips, it's no wonder that as a nation we feel more pressure to get in a workout after a day's work, to keep up with society and its idea of healthy living.

What happens though when you sit at a desk all day, getting up only to walk to the coffee machine, to the loo or to the nearest lift? The answer is; no exercise, every calorie consumed going straight to the hips, and an increased risk of clogged arteries.

It's a bleak outlook for anyone with a 9 - 5 (or 9 - 8 depending where you work), by which time there physically isn't an opportunity to hit the gym and sheer starvation twinned with a sudden craving for wine kicks in.

This is not to mention the kind of food that is actually being eaten throughout the day. I tend to start off with a bowl of cereal and a cup of tea - healthy breakfast, tick, and take some fruit or a cereal bar for elevenses. After this it gets tricky. Normally by lunch I'm famished, having got up from my desk maybe once to go to the toilet and another time to get a caffeine fix, and so don't understand the hunger levels; they are totally out of ratio with what they should be. Anyway, I make my way down to the canteen, where the aromas are too much to bare and normally end up ordering the cooked lunch with some sort of chocolatey treat for afters, for fear of the 3.30pm energy slump. I then go back to my desk for the afternoon stint, which is about as active as the morning, and have to route around in my snack drawer around 5.30 for sustenance until I get home at 8.30pm (long distance commute on a train).

All in all, a long day coupled with less movement than a comatose koala is making me fat. There, I said it; FAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment